Sunday, August 14, 2011

Thoughts on the Prodigal Son


In Luke 15, I read the words of Jesus, as He told his disciples several parables. The lost sheep, the lost coin and the lost son, or more commonly known as the story of the prodigal son. I can identify with the prodigal son in some ways. I've never left home or lived out in the world, but I've certainly "left" in my heart a time or two. I wonder if the prodigal son left home just because he was impatient, ready for his life to "begin"; for something important to happen? Maybe he was jealous of his older brother, who probably seemed to have it all together? Maybe he was tempted by those who seemed to be making a success of their lives out in the world? Or, perhaps he was just tired of his Dad's rules, and rebelled. Jesus didn't give us that information in the Bible. 

I've been impatient, wondering, when is the Lord going to bless our efforts to serve Him? When will all the pews be filled? When will the gossipers and liars be proven wrong? When?

I've been jealous in my heart toward my older brother and sister, who also serve the Lord. Why can't I be like them? They have it all together.

I've been tempted by the lures of the world. Why do the wicked prosper? I've asked in my heart. 

I've been frustrated by rules, feeling confined and discouraged that I can't ever be perfect, so why bother?

But every time I fall into one of the above traps, my Father reminds me of a few things. He tells me And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. - Gal. 6:9

He says to me that I'm not supposed to be like my brother or sister, I'm just supposed to be me. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. Ps. 139:14

He reminds me of the ultimate fate of the wicked.  Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction. How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors. Ps. 73:18-19

He tells me that I need to be more concerned with His will than the will of man. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe. Prov. 29:25

I hope I never reach the place where I could actually depart from God's will. I want the Lord to continue to teach me the error of my thoughts, to chasten me when I need it, and draw me back into his loving arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.