Thursday, August 18, 2011

Heed His Warnings


In Luke 22, I read about Jesus praying in the Garden. He had just finished eating the last supper with His disciples, where he told Peter "Satan want to have you, to sift you as wheat." (paraphrase) Later, in the Garden, Jesus tells the disciples, "Why sleep ye? Rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation." (Luke 22:46) If anyone should have been praying, it was Peter! Jesus had specifically told him that Satan wanted him. I don't know why Peter wasn't afraid of that prospect, of being used by Satan. Especially when Jesus, the Son of God, warned him! Perhaps Peter had grown used to Christ's presence in his life, and took Him for granted. Perhaps, he didn't have a real fear of Satan. Or maybe, he just couldn't fight his flesh. 
It's easy to grow cold in the Christian life. I don't want to be that way. I don't want to ignore warnings from the Lord, through His Word. If I'm being tempted, I want to hide behind God's Word, pray through the night, if necessary, and trust Him for the power to obey. It's often easier said than done. To live according to God's Word, I must fight my flesh, and my flesh is a powerful enemy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.