Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jesus Wasn't There


John 11:15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

John chapter 11 is about the raising of Lazarus from the dead. This was probably one of, if not the most, amazing miracles Jesus did. Jesus knew that Lazarus was sick, but in verse 4, he says that this sickness was "for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby." Whatever happened in this situation, it was all meant to bring glory to God. What caught my attention this morning was that Jesus says in verse 15 (above) that he was glad hewasn't there. 

How many times have I felt like Jesus wasn't around? How often have I felt forsaken, abandoned and utterly alone? Sometimes, it's just my flare for the dramatic. Other times, it could be that Jesus "isn't there" in a visible, powerful way because He has a greater purpose to accomplish than just rescuing me - He could be working in me, to bring glory to God.

Lazarus had been dead four days when Jesus arrived. I'm sure all hope was lost of his healing by that time. In fact, I'm pretty sure all hope was lost the moment he breathed his last breath.In verse 40, Jesus says to Martha, "Said not I unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?" Believe. That's hard to do when one has no hope, isn't it? Yet, that is exactly what we should do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.