Friday, August 19, 2011

My Favorite Story


I suppose my favorite story in the Bible is the story of the resurrection. Along with that, is the story of the men on the Emmaus Road. Remember that story? The men were walking along, discussing the crucifixion and Jesus walks up and starts talking to them? I love that story. Those men said in Luke 24:21 (After they had given Jesus a bit of background) "But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside this, to day is the third day since these things were done." They were wondering what was happening - they trusted Jesus, but now He was dead - what now?  Jesus goes along with the men and expounds the Scripture. Then, Jesus starts to go on past where these men live, but they say "Please, stay with us!" (paraphrase) Jesus does just that! He sits down at the table with them and breaks bread with them. Suddenly, the men realize "This IS Jesus!". Then, Jesus vanishes. I can't imagine what that must have been like, to be sitting at my table, eating with Jesus, and not know it was He, and then when I realize it, He disappears! Verse 32 says "And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us be the way, and while he opened to us the Scriptures?" The men immediately get up and tell everyone that Jesus is alive.

When you meet Jesus on your own "Emmaus Road", you will never be the same. I haven't seen Him with human eyes, but I've seen Him, nonetheless. I know He's here with me. I long for the day when I can see Him face to face. Until then, my heart burns within me as I walk with Him in His Word, as I talk to Him each day, and I want to shout it to the world that Jesus is alive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.