Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cover It Up


I always get a blessing from the chapter I read each day in Proverbs. I don't have time to write all of my thoughts each morning, but I often jot down a verse from Proverbs in my notebook that convicts me.

Today, it was Proverbs 17:9 He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter spearateth very friends. By sharing someone's sin with another person, we are hurting them, we are not showing love. It's something I need to watch! If I truly love someone, I'll cover up their transgression. 
When I was in high school, a very good friend of mine criticized me for something I wore, saying it was immodest. My intention was not to be immodest at all! I was very embarrassed and hurt at the way she shared her thoughts with me. She had assumed I'd intended to do wrongly. When I got home, I told my mother about what she had said. I knew my mom would care and understand, but she wouldn't hold it against my friend. I was planning on letting the whole thing go, I knew that it was just my friend's way- she was kind of critical. I did not, however, want to tell my Dad! He and I were very close, and I knew my friend's words would have hurt him. He might have said (as a knee-jerk reaction) "Don't spend any more time with her." Because of this, I wanted to cover up my friend's words; I wanted to hide them from my Dad. I loved her, and while her actions hurt me, I didn't want others to think poorly of her. I didn't want to stop being friends.
Why can't I be this way with everyone? I suppose it's because I don't love everyone the way I should. It's something I'm working on. By the way, I'm very grateful when others cover up mywrong-doing as well. It's a blessing to have friends and loved ones who see my faults, but love me anyway! I'm so thankful for my Saviour, who gave His very life to cover up my sin. Because of Him, when the Father looks at me, He sees righteousness! Praise the Lord!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.