Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Burning, Shining Light


John 5:35 He [John] was a burning and a shining light: ...

Jesus tells us in John chapter 5 that John the Baptist was a "burning and a shining light." I want to be a "shining light" for the Lord, as well. Oh, no, I'll never be what John the Baptist was, but I can point others to Christ by life, just like he did!  Matthew 5:16 says Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. 
I can point others to the One who saved me by my good works. But don't be fooled, the world can tell when the good works are genuine, or just a show. They'll know if we're real when we get tested. Will we compromise? Will we truly trust the God of our salvation, or will we work out our problems ourselves? This will show whether or not our hearts' desire is to glorify God or if we're just trying to look good to man.

When others look at me, I hope they see a woman who loves the Lord. I also hope they see that I'm just a sinner, striving to glorify God (against my flesh) each and every day. I worry about those who never seem to struggle against the flesh. Either they aren't genuinely serving the Lord, because God's people will endure suffering (1 Peter 2:21) or they aren't being real with me. And, personally, I like real. 

May each of us glorify God with our works, and therefore shine a burning light into the darkness of this world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.