Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Light in the Darkness

Psalm 112:4 Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous. 

This verse says that the "upright man" will have light in the darkness. Everyone will experience some sort of darkness. In last night's sermon evangelist Tim Green referred to these times as "wildernesses". Darkness, or wildernesses, will come to all: death of a loved one, financial reversal, betrayal, sickness...the list is endless. My natural inclination is to worry about the future, to doubt whether or not I can make it through tough times. I should know by now that I can only make it with my Savior's help, and He will never leave me. But, I'm just dust, so I worry anyway!

I read this and wondered, what does "upright" mean? The Hebrew root word means "straight". Webster's 1828  dictionary says:  Honest; just; adhering to rectitude in all social intercourse; not deviating from correct moral principles; as an upright man. Job. 1. It's kind of all encompassing. An upright man, or woman, is honest in everything, obedient to the laws of God and man. That doesn't mean we're sinless, but it means we sin less! :) A truly saved person wants to follow the paths God has laid out in His Word.


If I'm living in an upright way, I can rest assured that during the darkest times of life, I will have light. It may not be bright enough to light the entire way for me, but it will be enough for me to see my next step.As someone who is in my own personal darkness at the moment, I can say that it's true. He gets me through each day, moment by moment. And that's all I need, isn't it? Just enough grace to face today. My Father has it all under His power. He will always do what's best for my life, and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.