Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Willing Heart

Ex. 35:21 And they came, every one whose heart stirred him up, and every one whom his spirit made willing, and they brought the LORD's offering to the work of the tabernacle of the congregation and for all his service, and for the holy garments.


This verse stood out to me today. The word "willing" is used six times in this chapter in reference to people bringing their gifts or offering their service to the Lord as they built the Tabernacle. The phrases "wise hearted"  and "whose heart stirred him up" are used twice. I'm thinking there is a lot to be said for a "willing heart", and our hearts are powerful if they can "stir us up". Everyone has a willing heart for something. People who are good at their jobs are that way because they are simply "willing" to do a good job, and it shows! Kids who do well in school, do so because they are "willing" to give their best and study. People who are great at playing the piano were willing to spend hours sitting at one, practicing. Their willingness to sacrifice their time is the reason they can make it look so easy.

Have you noticed that people do what they want to do? I recently received a lovely necklace with matching earrings from my sister-in-law. She made them herself! I absolutely love the gift, and I admire her skill! She used her talent for me because she wanted to. I didn't ask her to. I didn't expect her to. She was willing to do it and I'm so blessed because of it.

It's true in our Christian life, too. We read our Bible every day because we want to. We submit to our husbands because we want to. We go to church, serve in some capacity, witness, and on and on only because we want to. No one can (nor should they have to) make us live for the Lord. We should be willing to do it. Christ died for me, the least I can do is live for Him. Am I where I want to be in my walk with God? No way. But I'm working to become better, because I want to.

I'm not sure how many folks in Israel were unwilling to bring an offering or do some service for the tabernacle. Moses doesn't mention them. If we want to make our life count, if we want to be remembered, then we must give and serve willingly.

"Willingness" is the only difference between a cold, lukewarm, or hot Christian. I'm doing a "willing heart" checkup on myself today. How 'bout you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.