Monday, October 10, 2011

New Strength

Is. 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.


I've heard this verse quoted and even sung most of my life. I'd say it's right up there with Psalm 23 and Romans 8:28 in the popularity department. But, most of my life, I really didn't know what it meant.I used to think, "Of course you have strength when you're just waiting! Who's doing anything when they're waiting?" I pictured someone sitting on the sidelines of a ball game, waiting.

But, in the Christian life, there is no such thing as just sitting on the sidelines. Or, there shouldn't be. All Christians are to be busy while we wait upon the Lord's return. A Christian should be busy praying, reading and studying God's Word, caring for our families and teaching our children the Bible, witnessing to friends and family, helping others, and serving in our churches just to name a few. This can get exhausting! Especially when you're waiting on the Lord to send a blessing; to make your efforts bring forth fruit. Because, only God can save someone or help someone to grow in knowledge of Him.

Tick tock, tick tock...when? When will He send His blessings? I've been waiting on the Lord for some time now. I have had so many lonely days when my spirit was restless and I was ready to give up. Then, just recently, I realized that I hadn't given up. In fact, I seem to have more enthusiasm, not less. I have some hope, even if it's not much. I feel like I have my "second wind"; I feel good! Have circumstances improved? Not really. Has God sent that blessing I'm waiting for? Well, not yet, but I think He will soon! Then, I remembered this verse, and I realized that, like all of God's Word, this part is true, too. If I wait, if I stay busy for Him, He will renew my strength and help to keep running, to keep walking, to keep going, for Him.

Thank you, Lord, for the trials. Thank you for the strength to carry on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.