Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fear of...Everything!

Psalm 56:3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

David knew about fear. Saul, the King of Israel, was out to get him. This means that the armies of Saul were after him, and anyone loyal to Saul. That's something to fear!

When I became a mother for the first time on August 27, 1999, I began the amazing journey of motherhood. Everything about it was fearful to me. What if she caught some terrible disease and I didn't know what to do? What if I didn't feed her enough? What if the house caught fire and I couldn't get her out? What if we had a car accident and I couldn't get her out of her car seat? On and on. Yes, this was exacerbated by terrible case of PPD, but I've felt fear regarding my children since then, too. I fear flying, driving long distances, tornadoes, and so on.

Regarding my own safety, I often think, "Why would God protect me? I'm not doing enough for Him! I'm not worth His protecting!" But that's where I'm wrong. God loves me...that's so hard for me to understand. You see, I know me! I'm flying today to Chicago. I will be away for three days! I haven't been away from my entire family in a lo--- ever! I'm nervous about how they will do while I'm gone. I want to be here to care for them, yet my husband and I feel that this opportunity is from the Lord, so I need to go.

I'll be speaking at a ladies conference during my trip. I'm looking forward to meeting new people, hearing the other speakers, laughing at the skits, and visiting with believers. But, along with that excitement also comes fear: What if something happens on the flight? What if I totally make a fool of myself? And on and on.

What a joy to read today this wonderful verse of comfort! Instructions from the Lord on how to handle fear! Boy, do I need that today! This is proof He loves me, that he cares for me. My fears are not the same as David's, but fear is a powerful force regardless of what we're fearing. It could be fear of the future, fear of financial reversal, fear of sickness or fear of everything!

I'm consciously handing my fears over to the Lord today. I'm trusting Him for strength, and I know He won't let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I politely request that any questions or disagreement be sent to me directly via e-mail. You may reach me by using my contact page.